Table tennis is a sport that any age and physical ability can play. It is a great sport to help stimulate the brain and improves reflexes and hand eye-coordination. Table tennis is a low impact sport that is able to help keep you fit as well as increase flexibility, with very little strain on joints.
Here are the top benefits of playing Table Tennis:
- Improves reflexes: Table tennis is such a fast paced, short distance sport, as a result it aids in the improvement of fine and gross muscle movement. Also, it requires short bursts of exertion and then recovery, which can contribute to the improvement of fast-twitch muscle development.
- Playing improves hand-eye coordination: Table tennis also helps to stimulate mental alertness, concentration and strategy building skills. Making it a perfect game for kids to help sharpen these skills from a young age, also can help older people to stay sharp.
- It’s a great family sport as anyone of any ability can play: Table tennis is a perfect sport to be played at home, in pairs or as a team. It is the perfect family fun activity that gets you away from the TV, phone and any other electronic device, for a few hours.
- Improves strength without putting any strain on joints: Table tennis is a great sport to help increase core, arm and leg strength without over exerting your joints. It also can be a great way to burn calories, especially considering how fun and addictive it can be, you’ll be playing for hours before you even notice.
At Sportsmart, we stock a variety of indoor and outdor tables from a number of different brands, including: Stiga, Alliance, Cornilleau. Check out the full range here.
Wanting to get a Christmas present that the whole family can use? Or a present that will keep everyone occupied over the school holidays. Then look no further…
- At Sportsmart we stock 7ft and 8ft tables as well as a wide range of accessories (pool cues, pool balls, chalk etc).
- Benefits of a family pool table include:
- Time spent as a family, away from the tv and electronic devices.
- Encourages team work which can help you bond as a family
- Something to entertain the kids when its too hot outside or when it is raining
- Trampolines, over the years, have become a lot more after with the inclusion of the enclosed net. We stock these trampolines in the 8ft, 10ft and 12ft sizes.
- Trampolines are great for young kinds.
- They get kids outdoors for hours.
- It helps make sure kids are being active, whilst also having fun (which is the most important part).
- We stock a wide range of indoor and outdoor table tennis tables (see our ‘How to choose a table tennis blog’ for more information on which table best suits your needs).
- There are surprisingly a lot of benefits of playing table tennis:
- Helps improve hand-eye coordination
- Improves reflexes
- Keeps your brain sharp
- Its also a great way to keep the kids occupied for hours these school holidays
- We probably recommend Dart boards for the older kids.
- Darts is a game that requires a high level of skill, accuracy and a steady hand.
- Some of the benefits of playing darts include:
- Great stress release as you really need to focus
- Helps build team work and encourage friendly competition
- Improves hand/eye coordination – due to the high level of precision involved
Do you have a family member or friend who you are struggling to find a Christmas gift for?
Firstly, do they love sport? Secondly, Do they love a particular sport?
We’ve put together a list of different sports and gift ideas that anyone who plays these sports or wants to start playing would love!
Ps. No harm treating yourself either 😉
Gifts for the Netballer
- Netball Stand: At Sportsmart we stock a range of different Netball stands in varying prices, so there is something to suit everyone.
- Netballs: We stock Mitre and Gilbert Netballs in both size 4 & 5 in a range of different colours and patterns.
- Netball shoes: Why not treat yourself and purchase from our wide range of Netball shoes, or buy a voucher and let them choose their own.
Gifts for the Soccer Player
- Supporter wear: We have a wide range of team supporter wear including: AC Milan, Arsenal FC, Socceroos, Borussia Dortmund, Celtic, Chelsea FC, FC Barcelona, FC Bayern Munich, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Melbourne Victory, PSG, Real Madrid and Tottenham.
- Soccer Accessories: We have a wide range of training items available, from: Soccer goals, practice inflatable defence man and markers.
- Protective wear: Does your child need new shinguard’s or gloves? We’ve got you covered!
- Soccer balls: Everyone loves a new ball for Christmas. We stock a range of brands (Mitre, adidas and Nike), colours patterns and all sizes (3, 4 and 5).
Gifts for the Tennis Player
- Tennis Balls: Somehow these always end up lost or missing so you can never have enough If you play. Also if you’re heading to the Australian Open, save some time and money and pick yourself up a giant novelty tennis ball for all your signatures!
- Tennis Racquets: For kids we have Junior racquets for UNDER $50 so these make an awesome gift if your child wants to start playing. We also have a variety of different priced senior racquets as well for the more advanced player.
- Bags: If you have a few tennis players in the family these bags can be great for storage, or if you have a little pro on your hands then these will make life easier when rushing them off to practice (a gift for the kids or for you? 😉)
Gifts for the Basketballer
- BBall Systems: These make amazing family gifts. We stock a massive range from entry level to top of the range, so we really do have something for everyone. Will your child be the next LeBron James?
- Basketball Shoes: We have a wide range of junior and senior shoes (and1 and Nike). Spoil yourself or give them a gift card to get your own.
- Basketballs: We stock a variety of different basketballs suited to both indoor and outdoor playing. Different sizes are available to suit all ages.
Gifts for the Cricketer
- Outdoor Cricket sets: Heading into summer means a lot of time spent at the beach…who doesn’t love beach cricket? Perfect for kids of all ages and even for dads of all ages.
- Cricket packages: we have some incredible junior cricket packages available that covers just about everything the little cricketer will need for the season.
- BBL gear: With BBL starting soon grab your supporter wear and even get playing yourself with our awesome light up stumps and balls.
- Playing Gear: We have everything from bats, padding, bags, clothing and balls. No matter what age or size we’ve got your cricketer covered this Christmas.
As Christmas approaches many of you may be wondering what activity the whole family can enjoy over Christmas and the holiday period. A table tennis table is the perfect gift, it’s active, fun, and the whole family can play it regardless of skill level.
This blog hopes to answer any questions you may have before purchasing your very own table. If we’ve missed anything feel free to give our online team a call: (03) 9091 5024.
Indoor or Outdoor table?
The first thing you need to consider is whether you will be using your table tennis table indoors or outdoors, as these are two different types of tables.
Indoor tables are obviously for indoor use only, this is because they are not made to handle outdoor elements. Moisture and sunlight can cause damage to your table tennis table.
If the table is to be used outdoors and subjected to moisture and sunlight then we highly recommend getting an outdoor table tennis table.
At Sportsmart we stock a variety of options in both so once you’ve decided where it will be used we can help you choose the rest.
What do the different table thicknesses mean?
We have a variety of different thicknesses available at Sportsmart. The different thickness in the top and frame give a truer and more consistent bounce. ITTF approved tables are 22mm or greater.
Indoor Table thickness available: 12mm, 15mm, 18mm, 22mm and 25mm.
Outdoor table thickness available: 4mm to 9mm
Frame thickness’ will vary according to the Table top.
Can you use an indoor table outside?
It is best to use indoor table tennis tables indoors and vice versa. Indoor tables are made from Medium density fiberboard (MDF) and does not survive well when exposed to moisture and sunlight. Whereas outdoor tables are usually made from a mixture of plastic, resin or fiberglass.
Do they come in a variety of colors?
Standard competition colour in Victoria is a dark blue top. There are no rules or regulations on colors of the tops for leisure use. We stock tables with blue and black tops.
Will my table fold and store easily.
Most tables available from Sportsmart come in 2 pieces and can be folded for compact and easy storage. This also allows the table to
be used in the playback position for solo practice. Cornilleau outdoor tables come as one piece, however fold away very easily.
If I purchase a table from Sportsmart will it come with accessories?
The majority of tables don’t come with accessories as there are so many different nets and racquets available and everyone has different needs. However, any table tennis purchase at Sportsmart entitles you to 25% off all table tennis accessories. We have a large range of bats, balls and nets to help you get started and our staff would be more than willing to discuss the best accessories for you based on your needs and table purchase (excludes online purchases).
What is regulation sizes?
Sportsmart table tennis tables are all of regulation size.
SIZE (IN MM) Length: 2740 mm Width: 1525 mm Height: 760 mm Net Height: 152.5 mm
SIZE (IN FEET) Length: 9.0 ft. Width: 5.0 ft. Height: 2.5 ft.
Net Height: 0.5 ft.
SIZES (IN INCHES) Length: 107.87 inches Width: 60.0 inches Height: 29.92 inches Net Height: 6.0 inches
Will the Table Tennis Table fit in my car?
The table will not fit into a car. It will need to be transported in a Trailer, Ute, or large van.
It can be placed on roof racks of a car providing there is adequate tie downs available.
We have more than 10 table tennis models to choose from, to suit a variety of needs and preferences. Brands that we stock include Stiga, Alliance, Summit and Cornilleau table tennis tables.
Still have more questions about choosing a table tennis table? Feel free to visit us in store at our 3 store locations Sportsmart Moorabbin, Sportsmart Northcote & Sportsmart Kilsyth and one of our friendly and enthusiastic staff members they will be able to assist you with your needs.
Click here to view our range of Table Tennis Tables.
With so many different tennis racquets out there, all of which at first glance look the same. How do you know which to choose? Unless you play competitive tennis, you probably have no idea. This guide is here to help.
As with almost anything, do not simply pick a tennis racquet based on the colour or because your favourite player uses that tennis racquet. This may have detrimental effects on your performance.
If you are new to the game, then we recommend a lightweight racquet with a larger head. The larger head provides more power and is more forgiving (allowing for mistakes, if the ball doesn’t connect with the center or, ‘sweet spot’).
More experienced players however, may want to invest in a heavier tennis racquet with a smaller, mid size head, as this allows more power & control.
Other important things to consider when choosing a tennis racquet include:
Balance: This is the weight distribution of a tennis racquet. A light-headed racquet, or one that is evenly balanced, enables beginners to have more control without the risk of fatigue or getting tennis elbow.
Weight: The weight of a tennis racquet determines how quickly your arm will become fatigued. Lightweight (or approx. 250-300g) is easier to swing but lacks fast, hard power shots. Determining which weight tennis racquet to get depends on your physical ability as well as your training/ability.
Grip: Choosing the wrong grip size is the fastest way to end up with wrist, elbow or shoulder injuries. The best way to determine which size grip you need is to test a tennis racquet out (which you can do at Sportsmart).
Frame: Tennis racquets are rated for stiffness from 10-100. A flexible tennis racquet frame (rated under 69), results in less power. However, a stiff frame (rated over 69) can result in greater arm strain. Frame stiffness comes down to a matter of preference.
Strings: A racquet with a string configuration of 16×19 (open string pattern) allows for more give and spin, but also tend to snap more. A racquet with an 18×20 (closed string pattern) is a lot denser, therefore less prone to snapping. This configuration is more suitable for a player who has great ball control and power.
These are the main features to look out for. However, it is worth also considering if the tennis racquet comes with interchangeable grommets. Which are designed for advanced players who want to mix up their game. Lastly, Graphene XT technology, is a special frame material that makes a racquet lighter, without losing stiffness or power.
Shop our range here
Introducing the new Graphene Touch Radical Tennis Racquets, now available at Sportsmart.
The new Head RADICAL series contains the ground-breaking Graphene Touch technology which aids in shock absorption and creates an incredible feel. Making it one of the most versatile tennis racquets you can buy
Recommended by none other than Andy Murray, the RADICAL PRO tennis racquet comes with a brand-new design, the innovative Graphene Touch technology, a heavier frame and increased power.
|HEAD SIZE:||630cm2 / 98 in2|
|WEIGHT (Unstrung):||310g / 10.9oz|
The RADICAL MP comes with the innovative Graphene Touch technology, this racquet would be perfect for the all-court advanced player who needs the perfect combination of power and handling.
|HEAD SIZE:||630cm2 / 98 in2|
|WEIGHT (unstrung):||295g / 10.4oz|
The RADICAL S comes with a much bigger head size compared to the previous 2 models, making this racquet perfect for ambitious recreational players.
|HEAD SIZE:||660cm2 / 102 in2|
|WEIGHT (unstrung):||280g / 9.9oz|
Are you transitioning from junior to adult? Then the RADICAL LITE would be a perfect first racquet. This racquet provides increased maneuverability and easy playability to those intermediate – beginner club players.
|HEAD SIZE:||660cm2 / 102 in2|
|WEIGHT (unstrung):||260g / 9.2oz|
Still not convinced? Why not try before you buy on our demo wall?
In our previous blog post, “5 reasons why kids should play sport” we explained the importance of kids being involved in sport. Including such benefits as: improving health, increasing self-esteem and confidence, and encouraging teamwork, communication and leadership skills. However, kids sport usually means one thing – Weekend game days.
For your child nothing beats the excitement of game day. I’m not sure all parents agree. For parents it usually means no sleep in, its cold usually wet and always some last-minute drama of ‘where are my shoes?’ or unwashed sport shorts from Thursday night training, as well as the arduous task of trying to find a different venue each week.
We understand the benefits for our kids, but how do we as parents survive it?
- Have a strong routine.
Have those uniforms organized the night before, and right before bed make sure you google the location, so you know where you are heading ahead of time. Make sure you treat yourself along the way to reward yourself for the successful taxiing of however many kids to each game. Whether it be with a coffee or a family meal after the game. Treat yourself. Instead of thinking of it as a weekend chore, try think of it as your weekend ritual.
- Give the kids responsibility.
Yes, you may be the designated taxi driver, but that doesn’t mean you should also be the dry cleaner, the chef and the maid as well. Playing sport comes with responsibilities and weekend game days are a perfect opportunity to teach your kids responsibility. Make it their job to get breakfast, or to put out uniforms after training to ensure they are washed in time, help them take responsibility for their participation.
- Get Involved.
For some the last thing you want to do is spend your Saturday working behind a canteen or a sausage sizzle at your kid’s sport especially after doing 9-5 all week. But there are more than just benefits for your kids playing sport, there are benefits for parents too.
Weekend sport is a great way to stay social and be involved in the community. Positive reinforcement by cheering kids on at each match is rewarding for yours kids, but also seeing their excitement when they get a goal or win can be priceless to you. Being involved can also make the morning feel a lot more productive than just hiding out in your car would.
We hope this helps make this weekends sport a little more bearable. And after why not come reward yourself with a little shopping spree at Sportsmart 😉 Good luck to all our Team Smart teams playing this weekend.