We all know exercise is important, but how do we get motivated when it’s dark, cold and raining?
Here are our top 5 ideas to help you get motivated to get active this winter:
- Join a team
If you’ve ever wanted to play a team sport – such as netball, basketball or football – now is the time to start. Nothing makes you more motivated to participate than knowing that others are depending on you.
- Find a gym buddy
Not a fan of team sports? Not to worry. Find yourself a gym buddy and organise a few days a week to go together. Not wanting to let someone down is a big motivator to get you out from under that doona.
- Treat yourself to new fitness clothing or shoes
One way to motivate yourself to get active is to get some fantastic new fitness clothing and shoes. It’ll give you a boost of confidence. Plus, the only way to show off your new outfit is if you leave the house! Check out Sportsmart’s range of Clothing and Footwear here.
- Train for an event
Sign up for a fun run, or an obstacle course; whatever gets you going! Having a goal to work towards makes training a lot easier and much more rewarding.
- Workout at home
Still not inspired to leave the warmth of your house? Then don’t! Invest in gym equipment and free weights and get active at home. Download an app or a workout plan and get going. All in the comfort of your pre-heated living room.
Check out Sportsmart’s website for everything you need to stay motivated to work out, this Winter.
Using a mouthguard in contact sports is very important, especially for junior players. A properly fitted mouthguard is essential for you to be protected. The most popular types of mouthguard is the mouth formed or boil and bite which is heated and then formed to fit your mouth.
Moulding a mouthguard is made easy using the following directions. Firstly, boil a small pot of water and submerge your mouthguard for about 20 to 30 seconds. Your mouthguard should have instructions for the correct amount of time. Remember, the mouthguard should be heated to the point that you are able to mould, it should NOT be beginning to melt.
Remove the mouthguard from the water using tongs careful not to deform the mouthguard by squeezing too tightly. Cool the mouthguard either by dipping it in cool water or allowing it to air dry. Check your mouthguard instructions to see if water is recommended, different brands may have different instructions. Cool the mouthguard to the point where you can put it in your mouth without burning yourself, it should be warm still.
Place the mouthguard in your mouth to mould it. Push the mouthguard against your teeth with your fingers and bite down lightly. Pull the guard tighter to your teeth by placing your tongue against the roof of your mouth and sucking the air and water out.
Now you need to cool the mouthguard. Some brands say that the guard needs to cool rapidly after it has been fitted by dipping it in cold water. If the mouthguard does not fit properly, don’t stress, you can remould it simply by starting the process again.
Using a mouth formed mouthguard is the easiest way to ensure the mouthguard fits perfectly to your mouth. Be sure to inspect your mouthguard frequently and replace it if it becomes deformed or you notice that the edges become jagged.
If your child plays any of the following sports, they most likely need a mouthguard: Rugby, AFL, Martial arts, Hockey, Boxing, Basketball, Soccer, American Football, Lacrosse, Ice Hockey. It’s best to check with your coach, if you are worried it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Boxing has become the latest fitness trend. With it’s growing popularity, we want to make sure you are choosing the right equipment. Read on to understand how to choose the right boxing gloves for you.
Are you a beginner? Then you can’t go past the Everlast ‘Authentic Training Gloves’. They provide the support you will need and they’re also affordable, exactly what you need when you’re just starting boxing. These boxing gloves are best used for “Mitt Work” or focus pads. They provide full wrist support, which helps to avoid any hand and wrist injuries that may result from repetitive movements. The gloves feature adjustable hook and loop straps that allow you to adjust the wrist support and ensure a secure fit. The Everlast Boxing gloves also contain a soft touch lining which adds extra comfort and there EVERCOOL mesh ventilation panels help keep your hands cool and free from sweat. These are the perfect beginner glove.
The other option Sportsmart have for beginners in the Everlast ‘Prostyle Advance Training Glove’. This glove is engineered for: Mitt work, Boxing bag and Sparring. Making it the perfect all round beginner glove, whilst it is a little bit more expensive than the ‘Authentic Training Glove’, the pro style boxing glove can be used for different types of boxing, meaning you will only need one pair, saving you room in your gym bag! Lastly, the glove contains a soft synthetic leather outer for increased durability and comfort.
For our intermediate boxers, we have the Everlast ‘Power Lock Training Glove’ the more affordable of the two options. These boxing gloves are engineered for: mitt work, heavy bag (Boxing Bags), and sparring. This glove contains a layered foam construction, securing the hand into a natural fist position. They also have a soft synthetic leather outer for greater durability and comfort. As well as the thick wrist strap hook and loop closure for a secure fit and the soft touch lining for extra comfort.
The Everlast ‘Ever shield contender II training glove’ is the ultimate in all rounder gloves. Engineered for mitt work, heavy bag (boxing bag) and sparring, it is made of genuine leather for durability, a moulded one-piece padding helps form a comfortable fist and lastly has an advanced wrist protection padding. The secure fit helps to maintain protection and comfort during a variety of striking angles.
Last but not least, for the next Danny Greene out there, we have the Everlast ‘1910 Leather Training gloves’. Engineered for mitt work and heavy bag training, this leather boxing glove has an advanced padding design which ensures maximum protection. The same adjustable hook and loop wrist strap which ensures a secure fit as well as making it easier to get on and off as well as the mesh ventilation panels to ensure nice sweat free, non-smelly gloves.
Boxing gloves come in a variety of sizes depending on your hand size. Boxing gloves also come in a variety of weights. Lighter gloves are usually used by professional boxers, however if you are just training, use a heavier glove as they offer more protection.
Check out Sportsmart’s full range of boxing gear here.
Introducing the brand new Head Tennis Sensor.
What is it?
The HEAD Tennis Sensor powered by ZEPP allows you to track your performance on the tennis court. It is the same size and weight as the butt cap and allows you to measure your top speed, rpm, and sweet spot. You can analyse your serve using 3D animation and keep track of your matches and keep a record of all your best shots. It also provides free training session on the app.
How to use it?
Simply download the app, compatible with both Apple and Android phones and tablets. You can move the device easily from racquet to racquet and an easy to use installation tool is provided. With 5-6 hours of tracking time it lasts all games and comes with a magnetic charger with USB connection making it easy to charge anywhere.
The HEAD Tennis Sensor works with most Head touch and XT tennis racquets (see in store for details).
There are 3 different modes of play you can use the sensor in.
PLAY | TRAIN | COMPETE
The best way to understand is to see the technology in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHb7AHylsPY
Get yours now In store & Online
Table tennis is a sport that any age and physical ability can play. It is a great sport to help stimulate the brain and improves reflexes and hand eye-coordination. Table tennis is a low impact sport that is able to help keep you fit as well as increase flexibility, with very little strain on joints.
Here are the top benefits of playing Table Tennis:
- Improves reflexes: Table tennis is such a fast paced, short distance sport, as a result it aids in the improvement of fine and gross muscle movement. Also, it requires short bursts of exertion and then recovery, which can contribute to the improvement of fast-twitch muscle development.
- Playing improves hand-eye coordination: Table tennis also helps to stimulate mental alertness, concentration and strategy building skills. Making it a perfect game for kids to help sharpen these skills from a young age, also can help older people to stay sharp.
- It’s a great family sport as anyone of any ability can play: Table tennis is a perfect sport to be played at home, in pairs or as a team. It is the perfect family fun activity that gets you away from the TV, phone and any other electronic device, for a few hours.
- Improves strength without putting any strain on joints: Table tennis is a great sport to help increase core, arm and leg strength without over exerting your joints. It also can be a great way to burn calories, especially considering how fun and addictive it can be, you’ll be playing for hours before you even notice.
At Sportsmart, we stock a variety of indoor and outdor tables from a number of different brands, including: Stiga, Alliance, Cornilleau. Check out the full range here.
Wanting to get a Christmas present that the whole family can use? Or a present that will keep everyone occupied over the school holidays. Then look no further…
- At Sportsmart we stock 7ft and 8ft tables as well as a wide range of accessories (pool cues, pool balls, chalk etc).
- Benefits of a family pool table include:
- Time spent as a family, away from the tv and electronic devices.
- Encourages team work which can help you bond as a family
- Something to entertain the kids when its too hot outside or when it is raining
- Trampolines, over the years, have become a lot more after with the inclusion of the enclosed net. We stock these trampolines in the 8ft, 10ft and 12ft sizes.
- Trampolines are great for young kinds.
- They get kids outdoors for hours.
- It helps make sure kids are being active, whilst also having fun (which is the most important part).
- We stock a wide range of indoor and outdoor table tennis tables (see our ‘How to choose a table tennis blog’ for more information on which table best suits your needs).
- There are surprisingly a lot of benefits of playing table tennis:
- Helps improve hand-eye coordination
- Improves reflexes
- Keeps your brain sharp
- Its also a great way to keep the kids occupied for hours these school holidays
- We probably recommend Dart boards for the older kids.
- Darts is a game that requires a high level of skill, accuracy and a steady hand.
- Some of the benefits of playing darts include:
- Great stress release as you really need to focus
- Helps build team work and encourage friendly competition
- Improves hand/eye coordination – due to the high level of precision involved
Do you have a family member or friend who you are struggling to find a Christmas gift for?
Firstly, do they love sport? Secondly, Do they love a particular sport?
We’ve put together a list of different sports and gift ideas that anyone who plays these sports or wants to start playing would love!
Ps. No harm treating yourself either 😉
Gifts for the Netballer
- Netball Stand: At Sportsmart we stock a range of different Netball stands in varying prices, so there is something to suit everyone.
- Netballs: We stock Mitre and Gilbert Netballs in both size 4 & 5 in a range of different colours and patterns.
- Netball shoes: Why not treat yourself and purchase from our wide range of Netball shoes, or buy a voucher and let them choose their own.
Gifts for the Soccer Player
- Supporter wear: We have a wide range of team supporter wear including: AC Milan, Arsenal FC, Socceroos, Borussia Dortmund, Celtic, Chelsea FC, FC Barcelona, FC Bayern Munich, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Melbourne Victory, PSG, Real Madrid and Tottenham.
- Soccer Accessories: We have a wide range of training items available, from: Soccer goals, practice inflatable defence man and markers.
- Protective wear: Does your child need new shinguard’s or gloves? We’ve got you covered!
- Soccer balls: Everyone loves a new ball for Christmas. We stock a range of brands (Mitre, adidas and Nike), colours patterns and all sizes (3, 4 and 5).
Gifts for the Tennis Player
- Tennis Balls: Somehow these always end up lost or missing so you can never have enough If you play. Also if you’re heading to the Australian Open, save some time and money and pick yourself up a giant novelty tennis ball for all your signatures!
- Tennis Racquets: For kids we have Junior racquets for UNDER $50 so these make an awesome gift if your child wants to start playing. We also have a variety of different priced senior racquets as well for the more advanced player.
- Bags: If you have a few tennis players in the family these bags can be great for storage, or if you have a little pro on your hands then these will make life easier when rushing them off to practice (a gift for the kids or for you? 😉)
Gifts for the Basketballer
- BBall Systems: These make amazing family gifts. We stock a massive range from entry level to top of the range, so we really do have something for everyone. Will your child be the next LeBron James?
- Basketball Shoes: We have a wide range of junior and senior shoes (and1 and Nike). Spoil yourself or give them a gift card to get your own.
- Basketballs: We stock a variety of different basketballs suited to both indoor and outdoor playing. Different sizes are available to suit all ages.
Gifts for the Cricketer
- Outdoor Cricket sets: Heading into summer means a lot of time spent at the beach…who doesn’t love beach cricket? Perfect for kids of all ages and even for dads of all ages.
- Cricket packages: we have some incredible junior cricket packages available that covers just about everything the little cricketer will need for the season.
- BBL gear: With BBL starting soon grab your supporter wear and even get playing yourself with our awesome light up stumps and balls.
- Playing Gear: We have everything from bats, padding, bags, clothing and balls. No matter what age or size we’ve got your cricketer covered this Christmas.