We all know exercise is important, but how do we get motivated when it’s dark, cold and raining?
Here are our top 5 ideas to help you get motivated to get active this winter:
- Join a team
If you’ve ever wanted to play a team sport – such as netball, basketball or football – now is the time to start. Nothing makes you more motivated to participate than knowing that others are depending on you.
- Find a gym buddy
Not a fan of team sports? Not to worry. Find yourself a gym buddy and organise a few days a week to go together. Not wanting to let someone down is a big motivator to get you out from under that doona.
- Treat yourself to new fitness clothing or shoes
One way to motivate yourself to get active is to get some fantastic new fitness clothing and shoes. It’ll give you a boost of confidence. Plus, the only way to show off your new outfit is if you leave the house! Check out Sportsmart’s range of Clothing and Footwear here.
- Train for an event
Sign up for a fun run, or an obstacle course; whatever gets you going! Having a goal to work towards makes training a lot easier and much more rewarding.
- Workout at home
Still not inspired to leave the warmth of your house? Then don’t! Invest in gym equipment and free weights and get active at home. Download an app or a workout plan and get going. All in the comfort of your pre-heated living room.
Check out Sportsmart’s website for everything you need to stay motivated to work out, this Winter.
Table tennis is a sport that any age and physical ability can play. It is a great sport to help stimulate the brain and improves reflexes and hand eye-coordination. Table tennis is a low impact sport that is able to help keep you fit as well as increase flexibility, with very little strain on joints.
Here are the top benefits of playing Table Tennis:
- Improves reflexes: Table tennis is such a fast paced, short distance sport, as a result it aids in the improvement of fine and gross muscle movement. Also, it requires short bursts of exertion and then recovery, which can contribute to the improvement of fast-twitch muscle development.
- Playing improves hand-eye coordination: Table tennis also helps to stimulate mental alertness, concentration and strategy building skills. Making it a perfect game for kids to help sharpen these skills from a young age, also can help older people to stay sharp.
- It’s a great family sport as anyone of any ability can play: Table tennis is a perfect sport to be played at home, in pairs or as a team. It is the perfect family fun activity that gets you away from the TV, phone and any other electronic device, for a few hours.
- Improves strength without putting any strain on joints: Table tennis is a great sport to help increase core, arm and leg strength without over exerting your joints. It also can be a great way to burn calories, especially considering how fun and addictive it can be, you’ll be playing for hours before you even notice.
At Sportsmart, we stock a variety of indoor and outdor tables from a number of different brands, including: Stiga, Alliance, Cornilleau. Check out the full range here.
Ellipticals are becoming increasingly popular as the gym equipment of choice for many. When it comes to your workout, how do ellipticals differ from treadmills?
- Less impact on the joints
In comparison to running (high-impact), an elliptical is a lot softer on your joints (impact free), making it the perfect exercise machine if you have joint problems. The low impact exercise also helps with recovery times.
- Works the whole body
The arm motion on an elliptical machine gives a quality upper body workout while simultaneously providing a lower body workout and an overall cardiovascular workout. The elliptical saves you time by working all these muscle groups at once.
- Increase your cardio fitness
The elliptical machine is believed to be one of the most effective machines for increasing cardiovascular fitness. Improved cardiovascular health leads to other benefits such as better quality sleep, increased alertness, and faster metabolism.
After a long day at work we all suffer that internal debate… ‘should I go to the gym or just stay warm and curl up and watch Netflix?’
Bustamove’s Personal Trainer, Michael, has put together a 20 minute home workout. So, stay warm, watch Netflix and workout, all at once, within the comfort of your home!
20 Minute Kettlebell Workout
Perform both exercises in Circuit A for 45 seconds with a 15 second rest in between each exercise. Do 3 sets. Repeat for Circuit B and C.
Circuit A: (1) Kettlebell Squat and Press, (2) Plank
Circuit B: (1) Kettlebell Split Squat (lunge), (2) Crunches
Circuit C: (1) Kettlebell Sumo Squat + high pull, (2) Push ups
- Count how many repetitions of the first set you do in each circuit and try beat that for the second and third set!
- Increase kettlebell weight every time you do the workout!
Bustamove Personal Trainer
Want to be a runner but your enthusiasm for putting on your running shoes just isn’t there? Here is a list of ideas to help make the idea of running seem a lot more entertaining.
- Create a motivating playlist
Put together a playlist of all your favourite artists and zone out while listening to your favourite tunes.
- Introduce yourself to podcasts
Having only recently discovered just how great and amusing podcasts can be, I highly recommend this. Laughing along with Hamish & Andy helps you to forget how exhausted you might be.
- Motivate yourself by entering a fun run
I always wanted to be a runner but lacked motivation to get started. Entering my first fun run and raising money for a cause I was passionate about gave me the motivation to get off my couch.
- Mix up running routes
Even if you have an interesting and scenic running route, there are benefits to heading off your usual track, so grab a pair of running shoes with good traction and give it a go.
- Find yourself a running buddy
Having a friend to run with helps keep you honest and motivated; you don’t want to let them down.
- Invest in an activity tracker
Activity trackers are stylish and full of technology. Keeping track of your heart rate, how far you run, downloading workout plans (and much more) right onto your wrist has never been easier thanks to activity trackers like the Garmin Forerunners.