Do you have a family member or friend who you are struggling to find a Christmas gift for?
Firstly, do they love sport? Secondly, Do they love a particular sport?
We’ve put together a list of different sports and gift ideas that anyone who plays these sports or wants to start playing would love!
Ps. No harm treating yourself either 😉
Gifts for the Netballer
- Netball Stand: At Sportsmart we stock a range of different Netball stands in varying prices, so there is something to suit everyone.
- Netballs: We stock Mitre and Gilbert Netballs in both size 4 & 5 in a range of different colours and patterns.
- Netball shoes: Why not treat yourself and purchase from our wide range of Netball shoes, or buy a voucher and let them choose their own.
Gifts for the Soccer Player
- Supporter wear: We have a wide range of team supporter wear including: AC Milan, Arsenal FC, Socceroos, Borussia Dortmund, Celtic, Chelsea FC, FC Barcelona, FC Bayern Munich, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Melbourne Victory, PSG, Real Madrid and Tottenham.
- Soccer Accessories: We have a wide range of training items available, from: Soccer goals, practice inflatable defence man and markers.
- Protective wear: Does your child need new shinguard’s or gloves? We’ve got you covered!
- Soccer balls: Everyone loves a new ball for Christmas. We stock a range of brands (Mitre, adidas and Nike), colours patterns and all sizes (3, 4 and 5).
Gifts for the Tennis Player
- Tennis Balls: Somehow these always end up lost or missing so you can never have enough If you play. Also if you’re heading to the Australian Open, save some time and money and pick yourself up a giant novelty tennis ball for all your signatures!
- Tennis Racquets: For kids we have Junior racquets for UNDER $50 so these make an awesome gift if your child wants to start playing. We also have a variety of different priced senior racquets as well for the more advanced player.
- Bags: If you have a few tennis players in the family these bags can be great for storage, or if you have a little pro on your hands then these will make life easier when rushing them off to practice (a gift for the kids or for you? 😉)
Gifts for the Basketballer
- BBall Systems: These make amazing family gifts. We stock a massive range from entry level to top of the range, so we really do have something for everyone. Will your child be the next LeBron James?
- Basketball Shoes: We have a wide range of junior and senior shoes (and1 and Nike). Spoil yourself or give them a gift card to get your own.
- Basketballs: We stock a variety of different basketballs suited to both indoor and outdoor playing. Different sizes are available to suit all ages.
Gifts for the Cricketer
- Outdoor Cricket sets: Heading into summer means a lot of time spent at the beach…who doesn’t love beach cricket? Perfect for kids of all ages and even for dads of all ages.
- Cricket packages: we have some incredible junior cricket packages available that covers just about everything the little cricketer will need for the season.
- BBL gear: With BBL starting soon grab your supporter wear and even get playing yourself with our awesome light up stumps and balls.
- Playing Gear: We have everything from bats, padding, bags, clothing and balls. No matter what age or size we’ve got your cricketer covered this Christmas.
Basketball can be played on many different surfaces; from synthetic indoor flooring to outdoor, concrete and asphalt. It is important that whatever basketball shoes you pick can withstand the surface that you typically play on. If you play basketball indoors, it is also worth checking if there are any rules about the type of shoe you can use on an indoor court.
In addition to the basketball court surface, the level you are playing at is another big factor to consider when purchasing basketball shoes. A casual player may opt for a better value option than a highly competitive player who plays multiple times a week. Other important aspects to consider when purchasing your new basketball shoes include:
- Cushioning and stability
Basketball requires many start–stop movements along with quick direction changes, running and jumping. A basketball shoe that hasn’t got enough cushioning can result in strong jolts in your legs. For the sake of your joints, it is important to ensure you have a correct fitting shoe, as well as shoes with enough cushioning, stability and grip to ensure you don’t hurt yourself or jar your joints. A good quality shoe with a strong grip is perfect for basketball, to ensure you don’t slip over with any sudden direction changes.
It is important to ensure the fitting of basketball shoes is perfect. Again, with the amount of movement involved in basketball it is easy to roll an ankle. One way to help prevent this is to ensure your feet are snug in your shoes, to prevent any extra movement within the shoes. This also helps to prevent blisters due to rubbing. A better fitting basketball shoe will also provide more comfort and overall support.
It is inevitable that your feet will get hot and sweat, no matter what sport you play. To reduce this effect, choose good-quality, breathable basketball shoes. They will be more comfortable and better fitting, with less pressure on your feet.
So, we’ve helped you pick a basketball system…now how to pick the perfect ball. After all, you can’t play basketball without a basketball!
When looking for a basketball, be aware that there are different sizes available for different age groups. The following is a standard basketball size guide:
- For ages 3+ (Male & Female): Size 3
- For ages 5-8 (Male & Female): Size 5
- For ages 9–12 (Male Only): Size 6
- Women aged 9+: Size 6
- Men aged 13+: Size 7
These sizes fit consistently and comfortably across the different age groups.
Additionally, depending on whether you are playing indoor or outdoor basketball, you may want a ball with a different texture. Outdoor balls will need to be tougher than indoor to last well on the concrete courts. Some people simply prefer the feel of one type of ball over the other, in which case it is always best to pick what feels most comfortable to you.
STEP 1: Choose a type that suits your needs
|In ground systems remain stationary for maximum stability.
Best for: Premium performance usage in a permanent paved area. And best for competitive or professional players, casual but regular players, families and teens.
|Portable systems can be moved for convenience or storage.
Best for: Anywhere where portability is important. Portable systems with an acrylic or polycarb backboard are best for casual players, young kids and families. Portable systems with a glass backboard are ideal for competitive players.
|Combo systems consist of a backboard and rim. They can be mounted to either an existing basketball system, to a pole, or roof via mounting hardware (sold separately).
Best for: Tight spaces or areas where there is no fixed place for a pole/bar. Casual but regular players, families, teens.
|Infinite Adjust||Preset Adjust|
|Infinite adjustment lifts can be set to any height between:
7.5 feet to 10 feet (2.3 to 3 meters).
|Preset adjustment lifts can be set to predetermine heights in 4 or 6 inch (10 or 15cm increments).|
STEP 2: Choose a backboard type and size
|Glass backboards feature the best rebound performance and are ideal for highly competitive play.
Best for: heavy use; competition or professional players.
|Acrylic backboards feature better rebound performance and are ideal for competitive play.
Best for: casual-heavy use; families; teens and children.
|Polycarbonate backboards feature good rebound performance and are ideal for recreational play.
Best for: casual use; children.
|Composite backboards offer a recreational level of play and a larger variety of colour options.
Best for: young children playing for fun.
Choosing a backboard size and type
Sportsmart offers basketball backboards in 8 sizes: 24”, 32”, 42”, 44”, 48”, 50”, 52”, 54”, 60” and 72”. The main factors affecting the size you choose are the size of your playing area and the skill level of those who will be using it.
The 24” and 32” are junior basketball systems best for young kids from 3 years old.
The 42” and 44” backboards are most suited to young children playing casually.
Backboards sized 48”, 50” and 52” are best for a small playing area, and can often be a good option to suit budgets.
For a playing area the size of a 2-car driveway, a 54” or 60” backboard will suit.
For more professional players who want to best replicate actual playing conditions, and who have the space and budget to suit, a 72” backboard is ideal.
NEED MORE HELP?
Sportsmart has a wide range of basketball systems suited to all types of players. For more advice and information, view our range of basketball systems and backboards online, visit one of our Melbourne stores or phone our online team on (03) 9091 5024.