Basketball can be played on many different surfaces; from synthetic indoor flooring to outdoor, concrete and asphalt. It is important that whatever basketball shoes you pick can withstand the surface that you typically play on. If you play basketball indoors, it is also worth checking if there are any rules about the type of shoe you can use on an indoor court.
In addition to the basketball court surface, the level you are playing at is another big factor to consider when purchasing basketball shoes. A casual player may opt for a better value option than a highly competitive player who plays multiple times a week. Other important aspects to consider when purchasing your new basketball shoes include:
- Cushioning and stability
Basketball requires many start–stop movements along with quick direction changes, running and jumping. A basketball shoe that hasn’t got enough cushioning can result in strong jolts in your legs. For the sake of your joints, it is important to ensure you have a correct fitting shoe, as well as shoes with enough cushioning, stability and grip to ensure you don’t hurt yourself or jar your joints. A good quality shoe with a strong grip is perfect for basketball, to ensure you don’t slip over with any sudden direction changes.
It is important to ensure the fitting of basketball shoes is perfect. Again, with the amount of movement involved in basketball it is easy to roll an ankle. One way to help prevent this is to ensure your feet are snug in your shoes, to prevent any extra movement within the shoes. This also helps to prevent blisters due to rubbing. A better fitting basketball shoe will also provide more comfort and overall support.
It is inevitable that your feet will get hot and sweat, no matter what sport you play. To reduce this effect, choose good-quality, breathable basketball shoes. They will be more comfortable and better fitting, with less pressure on your feet.
At Sportsmart, we are passionate about kids’ participation in sport. Here are some of the benefits:
- Sport improves physical health.
- Participation in sport at any age promotes health and wellness. Instilling this philosophy in children is the best way to promote health and wellness not only when they are young but for the rest of their lives. Learning these habits as a kid makes it easier to maintain as we get older.
- Sport increases self-esteem and confidence.
- Playing sport helps to establish a healthy self-esteem and can boost confidence. Seeing the results of practice pay off on match days, and the positive reinforcement and encouragement from parents, coaches and teammates, will improve a child’s self-esteem and confidence in their abilities.
- Sport encourages teamwork, communication and leadership skills.
- Team sports require teamwork, communication and leadership: three important criteria that an adult is required to be able to demonstrate when going for any job. Learning these skills as a child provides a great base for future success.
- Sport is a good way to relieve stress.
- Physical activity produces endorphins, which make you happy. Sport is a great outlet for stress relief, and to reduce the effects of negative emotions.
- Sport is fun!
- The biggest reason for kids to engage in sport is simply because it is FUN! So get out there and get your children involved in sport!
Our Krazy Kids Shoe Sale is on this weekend, so we’ve put together a quick guide on how to make sure you get the best shoe for your child.
- Measure both feet and always fit shoes to the larger foot. When in a store, get the shoes professionally fitted. If you already know your child’s size, purchasing online should be a breeze.
- When the shoes are on your child’s feet, stand your child up, and check to ensure there is about half an inch (or a thumb width) of room between the end of the shoe and your child’s biggest toe. This is especially important in running shoes, as the foot expands when warm.
- Next, while your child has the shoe on and is sitting down, test the ankle fit by gently tugging at the back of the shoe. The shoe should not pop off.
- Make sure you feel all around the shoe to ensure there is no bulging or tightness. Snug is okay.
- Lastly, make your child walk around the store in the shoe and watch to make sure they are walking normally and there is no slipping or gaping.
Most importantly, a correctly fitted shoe should feel comfortable.
Remember, we offer free shipping on footwear orders over $50, and if you purchase the wrong size, Sportsmart will be happy to offer you an exchange or refund within 14 days.
Visit us in store to have one of our professional footwear staff fit your child’s shoes, or shop our range of kids shoes online NOW.
5 tips for choosing Kids Sports Shoes for School
When purchasing sports shoes for your kids- you know that it is hard enough holding your kid still to ensure they receive the correct fitting shoes let alone the correct shoe.
Here are tips we here at SPORTSMART have put together to help you choose the correct Kids Sports Shoes
5 tips for choosing kids sports shoes
1) Choose the correct shoe for the correct purpose
What will the shoes be used for? Will they be used for running and will the shoes be used for multiple purposes such as kicking a football or playing court surfaces sports such as Netball & basketball.
Kids running footwear are designed for running, specifically running in straight lines and even more specifically- running forward! They are made with lightweight materials (Such as mesh on the upper and blown rubber outsoles) which are great for running as they are light- however, they are not that durable. If you think, kicking a ball or running around on asphalt playgrounds are pretty abrasive activities so our shoes need to be durable to match.
If you kid is always going through their shoes before they outgrow- you need to choose a more durable shoes such as Cross Trainer. Cross Trainers have a more durable upper and outsole that wears better. Sure- they are heavier – but they will last longer in long run.
Playing a particular sport? It’s always best to choose the correct shoe for the correct sport. Remember- these kids shoes are designed for the particular need of sport. Using them for purposes that are not correct, will wear through the shoes quicker, and also not be as enjoyable for your child/
2) Think about the colour
Does your child’s school have rules about what colour shoes they must wear? Does your child always get their footwear dirty and you do not know how to clean kids sports shoes?
Maybe you need to consider black kids sports footwear option? Whilst black kids shoes are not technically any cleaner, they do hide the marks a lot better than white ones.
3) Consider how well your child can tie their laces?
If you child needs help tying their shoes laces- maybe consider kids velco sports shoes as an option.
Velcro are a great option- they build confidence in your child by making them self sufficient.
4) Does your child need extra arch support in their kids sports footwear?
Have you been recommended to have more arch support for child’s footwear by a podiatrist?
A quick trick to find if a shoe has arch support is to look on the inside side of the kids sport shoe. If the arch is a dark colour- this indicates the shoe has arch support as this part of a sole is a denser piece of foam to the rest of the sole.
5) Fit the shoes for a little bit of growing room- but not too much.
Playing sport is fun for kids. Don’t diminish that fun by having them wear flippers.
Allow about a thumb width (yours) of room at the front of the foot- this allows enough space for a growth spurt – but not enough for the foot to be swimming in the foot. Shoes are designed to be correctly fitting- kids will perform better, and have more fun especially if they are in correctly fitting kids sports shoes.