Basketball can be played on many different surfaces; from synthetic indoor flooring to outdoor, concrete and asphalt. It is important that whatever basketball shoes you pick can withstand the surface that you typically play on. If you play basketball indoors, it is also worth checking if there are any rules about the type of shoe you can use on an indoor court.
In addition to the basketball court surface, the level you are playing at is another big factor to consider when purchasing basketball shoes. A casual player may opt for a better value option than a highly competitive player who plays multiple times a week. Other important aspects to consider when purchasing your new basketball shoes include:
- Cushioning and stability
Basketball requires many start–stop movements along with quick direction changes, running and jumping. A basketball shoe that hasn’t got enough cushioning can result in strong jolts in your legs. For the sake of your joints, it is important to ensure you have a correct fitting shoe, as well as shoes with enough cushioning, stability and grip to ensure you don’t hurt yourself or jar your joints. A good quality shoe with a strong grip is perfect for basketball, to ensure you don’t slip over with any sudden direction changes.
It is important to ensure the fitting of basketball shoes is perfect. Again, with the amount of movement involved in basketball it is easy to roll an ankle. One way to help prevent this is to ensure your feet are snug in your shoes, to prevent any extra movement within the shoes. This also helps to prevent blisters due to rubbing. A better fitting basketball shoe will also provide more comfort and overall support.
It is inevitable that your feet will get hot and sweat, no matter what sport you play. To reduce this effect, choose good-quality, breathable basketball shoes. They will be more comfortable and better fitting, with less pressure on your feet.
What is the point of compression clothing?
Compression wear is the best to wear when engaging in demanding physical activity. It helps boost circulation – resulting in more oxygen being transported to the active muscles, helping to improve performance. Compression wear can also help to reduce muscle fatigue. Compression wear is lightweight, breathable and body firming, making it ideal for both low and high impact training, competition as well as recovery.
How does compression wear work?
Compression wear works through the use of strategically placed panels. These panels wrap and support the major muscles being used in physical activity. Compression wear helps to reduce vibration and fatigue in the muscles. It can also help to keep you feeling dry, as the material is designed to wick moisture away from the skin. Many high-end compression brands contain a 50+ UV protection, making it perfect to wear all year round.
How does compression wear fit?
Most compression brands determine size using the BMI index, weight and height. Compression wear should be quite tight to work effectively.
At Sportsmart we stock compression tights, tops, shorts and socks. We also offer both normal compression and thermal compression – perfect for winter.
Having just completed Connor’s Run on the weekend, I experienced that all too familiar burning pain in the side of your abdomen that signals a stitch. It makes any runner want to stop in their tracks until that pain subsides. So, I decided to do some research to understand what causes this familiar pain and the best way to prevent it from happening in the first place.
What is a stitch?
Basically, a stitch occurs when there is a reduction in blood flow to the diaphragm. There is no definite reason as to why this occurs. Theories suggest it is caused by pressure from the legs on to the diaphragm from below, in addition to quick breathing putting on pressure from above, resulting in the muscle pinching and cutting off the blood and oxygen supply.
How can you prevent a stitch?
1. Stay hydrated: Ensure you are well hydrated in the 12 hours before exercising.
2. Don’t eat too much food or sugar: Avoid large quantities of food in the 2 hours prior to exercising. Also stay away from sugary drinks and lollies.
3. Deep breaths: Most runners swear by deep, steady breathing to help avoid a stitch. If this doesn’t help, try slowing your pace and reducing intensity until the sensation subsides.
See a doctor if you experience persistent pain following exercise.
At Sportsmart, we are passionate about kids’ participation in sport. Here are some of the benefits:
- Sport improves physical health.
- Participation in sport at any age promotes health and wellness. Instilling this philosophy in children is the best way to promote health and wellness not only when they are young but for the rest of their lives. Learning these habits as a kid makes it easier to maintain as we get older.
- Sport increases self-esteem and confidence.
- Playing sport helps to establish a healthy self-esteem and can boost confidence. Seeing the results of practice pay off on match days, and the positive reinforcement and encouragement from parents, coaches and teammates, will improve a child’s self-esteem and confidence in their abilities.
- Sport encourages teamwork, communication and leadership skills.
- Team sports require teamwork, communication and leadership: three important criteria that an adult is required to be able to demonstrate when going for any job. Learning these skills as a child provides a great base for future success.
- Sport is a good way to relieve stress.
- Physical activity produces endorphins, which make you happy. Sport is a great outlet for stress relief, and to reduce the effects of negative emotions.
- Sport is fun!
- The biggest reason for kids to engage in sport is simply because it is FUN! So get out there and get your children involved in sport!
HEAD YOUTEK IG RADICAL MP
**Exclusive to Sportsmart stores**
The Innegra hybrid-composite structure of the Head Youtek IG Radical MP racquet is extremely tough while remaining light weight. Vibration from ball impact is reduced by up to 17%, which leads to unique control and precision.
This Head tennis racquet also features D30 impact protection; this material allows the racquet to adopt to any flex required for every shot you take.
The Head Youtek IG Radical MP is used by professional tennis players including Andre Agassi and Andy Murray.
Ideal for the competitive player.
Weight – 295g
Head size – 98 sq. ins
Balance – 3” HL
Beam – 21.5mm
Length – 27ins
String pattern – 18/20
Normal price: $329 / Smart Card price: $179. Members save $150
HEAD GRAPHENE XT SPEED MP
Once you have played with Head’s Graphene tennis racquets you will never want to be without its incredible power. Now, this racquet features the next stage of this revolutionary technology: Graphene XT.
With this racquet, Head has made the world’s strongest and lightest material even stronger. This results in optimal weight distribution for a faster swing and more power, for an on-court performance to rival any opponent.
This is the original tennis racquet of the great Novak Djokovic.
Ideal for competitive players.
Weight – 300g
Head size – 100 sq. ins
Balance – 1” HL
Beam – 22mm
Length – 27ins
String pattern – 16/19
Normal price: $349 / Smart Card price: $199. Members save $150
Shop our full Tennis range in-store and online NOW
Ellipticals are becoming increasingly popular as the gym equipment of choice for many. When it comes to your workout, how do ellipticals differ from treadmills?
- Less impact on the joints
In comparison to running (high-impact), an elliptical is a lot softer on your joints (impact free), making it the perfect exercise machine if you have joint problems. The low impact exercise also helps with recovery times.
- Works the whole body
The arm motion on an elliptical machine gives a quality upper body workout while simultaneously providing a lower body workout and an overall cardiovascular workout. The elliptical saves you time by working all these muscle groups at once.
- Increase your cardio fitness
The elliptical machine is believed to be one of the most effective machines for increasing cardiovascular fitness. Improved cardiovascular health leads to other benefits such as better quality sleep, increased alertness, and faster metabolism.
Our Krazy Kids Shoe Sale is on this weekend, so we’ve put together a quick guide on how to make sure you get the best shoe for your child.
- Measure both feet and always fit shoes to the larger foot. When in a store, get the shoes professionally fitted. If you already know your child’s size, purchasing online should be a breeze.
- When the shoes are on your child’s feet, stand your child up, and check to ensure there is about half an inch (or a thumb width) of room between the end of the shoe and your child’s biggest toe. This is especially important in running shoes, as the foot expands when warm.
- Next, while your child has the shoe on and is sitting down, test the ankle fit by gently tugging at the back of the shoe. The shoe should not pop off.
- Make sure you feel all around the shoe to ensure there is no bulging or tightness. Snug is okay.
- Lastly, make your child walk around the store in the shoe and watch to make sure they are walking normally and there is no slipping or gaping.
Most importantly, a correctly fitted shoe should feel comfortable.
Remember, we offer free shipping on footwear orders over $50, and if you purchase the wrong size, Sportsmart will be happy to offer you an exchange or refund within 14 days.
Visit us in store to have one of our professional footwear staff fit your child’s shoes, or shop our range of kids shoes online NOW.