What is the point of compression wear?
Compression wear is the best to wear when engaging in demanding physical activity. It helps boost circulation – resulting in more oxygen being transported to the active muscles, helping to improve performance. Compression wear can also help to reduce muscle fatigue. Compression wear is lightweight, breathable and body firming, making it ideal for both low and high impact training, competition as well as recovery.
How does compression wear work?
Compression wear works through the use of strategically placed panels. These panels wrap and support the major muscles being used in physical activity. Compression wear helps to reduce vibration and fatigue in the muscles. It can also help to keep you feeling dry, as the material is designed to wick moisture away from the skin. Many high-end compression brands contain a 50+ UV protection, making it perfect to wear all year round.
How does compression wear fit?
Most compression brands determine size using the BMI index, weight and height. Compression wear should be quite tight to work effectively.
At Sportsmart we stock compression tights, tops, shorts and socks. We also offer both normal compression and thermal compression – perfect for winter.
Skins have come out with the Skins ‘Team’ range which is a more affordable price range with the same high quality they have always produced.
STEP 1: Choose a type that suits your needs
|In ground systems remain stationary for maximum stability.
Best for: Premium performance usage in a permanent paved area. And best for competitive or professional players, casual but regular players, families and teens.
|Portable systems can be moved for convenience or storage.
Best for: Anywhere where portability is important. Portable systems with an acrylic or polycarb backboard are best for casual players, young kids and families. Portable systems with a glass backboard are ideal for competitive players.
|Combo systems consist of a backboard and rim. They can be mounted to either an existing basketball system, to a pole, or roof via mounting hardware (sold separately).
Best for: Tight spaces or areas where there is no fixed place for a pole/bar. Casual but regular players, families, teens.
|Infinite Adjust||Preset Adjust|
|Infinite adjustment lifts can be set to any height between:
7.5 feet to 10 feet (2.3 to 3 meters).
|Preset adjustment lifts can be set to predetermine heights in 4 or 6 inch (10 or 15cm increments).|
STEP 2: Choose a backboard type and size
|Glass backboards feature the best rebound performance and are ideal for highly competitive play.
Best for: heavy use; competition or professional players.
|Acrylic backboards feature better rebound performance and are ideal for competitive play.
Best for: casual-heavy use; families; teens and children.
|Polycarbonate backboards feature good rebound performance and are ideal for recreational play.
Best for: casual use; children.
|Composite backboards offer a recreational level of play and a larger variety of colour options.
Best for: young children playing for fun.
Choosing a backboard size and type
Sportsmart offers basketball backboards in 8 sizes: 24”, 32”, 42”, 44”, 48”, 50”, 52”, 54”, 60” and 72”. The main factors affecting the size you choose are the size of your playing area and the skill level of those who will be using it.
The 24” and 32” are junior basketball systems best for young kids from 3 years old.
The 42” and 44” backboards are most suited to young children playing casually.
Backboards sized 48”, 50” and 52” are best for a small playing area, and can often be a good option to suit budgets.
For a playing area the size of a 2-car driveway, a 54” or 60” backboard will suit.
For more professional players who want to best replicate actual playing conditions, and who have the space and budget to suit, a 72” backboard is ideal.
NEED MORE HELP?
Sportsmart has a wide range of basketball systems suited to all types of players. For more advice and information, view our range of basketball systems and backboards online, visit one of our Melbourne stores or phone our online team on (03) 9091 5024.
Having just completed Connor’s Run on the weekend, I experienced that all too familiar burning pain in the side of your abdomen that signals a stitch. It makes any runner want to stop in their tracks until that pain subsides. So, I decided to do some research to understand what causes this familiar pain and the best way to prevent it from happening in the first place.
What is a stitch?
Basically, a stitch occurs when there is a reduction in blood flow to the diaphragm. There is no definite reason as to why this occurs. Theories suggest it is caused by pressure from the legs on to the diaphragm from below, in addition to quick breathing putting on pressure from above, resulting in the muscle pinching and cutting off the blood and oxygen supply.
How can you prevent a stitch?
1. Stay hydrated: Ensure you are well hydrated in the 12 hours before exercising.
2. Don’t eat too much food or sugar: Avoid large quantities of food in the 2 hours prior to exercising. Also stay away from sugary drinks and lollies.
3. Deep breaths: Most runners swear by deep, steady breathing to help avoid a stitch. If this doesn’t help, try slowing your pace and reducing intensity until the sensation subsides.
See a doctor if you experience persistent pain following exercise.
Football boots inevitably get covered in dirt and mud. Read these simple steps on how to clean muddy football boots:
- Remove football boots outside, ensuring the laces are undone properly (kicking them off can damage the shape of the boot).
- While still outside, knock the boots together to remove any loose dirt or mud. Then, use a stiff brush (not wire) to brush all excess dried dirt off before bringing the football boots inside.
- Using a damp cloth, wipe the football boots to remove smaller dirt particles. If the boots are made from synthetic material, they may be machine washable (check the instructions). But if they are made from leather, simply use a damp cloth until clean.
- When leaving football boots to dry, stuff the inside with newspaper to ensure the boot holds its natural shape. Always allow football boots to dry in a natural heat.
Anyone who wears football boots can follow these steps to help clean and care for their boots after playing in muddy conditions. Cleaning football boots in this way will help them to last a lot longer.
Sport is our life. It’s been in our family and team for almost 50 years.
As our valued Smart Card members, we celebrate your passion for sport.
We understand what the experience and enjoyment of sport means to you, as we share these values.
We will support you by always offering a great range and quality service from our knowledgeable and dedicated team.
Is cricket your life? Is tennis your life? Is athletics your life? Is basketball your life?
Whatever your sporting passion, we understand. Because at Sportsmart, SPORT IS OUR LIFE.
WIN 1 OF 10 $50 SPORTSMART GIFT CARDS BY TELLING US WHICH SPORT IS YOUR LIFE!
To go in the draw:
- Follow Sportsmart on Facebook and Instagram.
- Comment with which sport is your life, and why, on the relevant post on either our Facebook or Instagram pages.
Winners will be picked at random and notified via our Facebook and Instagram pages on Tuesday 5th September.
At Sportsmart, we are passionate about kids’ participation in sport. Here are some of the benefits:
- Sport improves physical health.
- Participation in sport at any age promotes health and wellness. Instilling this philosophy in children is the best way to promote health and wellness not only when they are young but for the rest of their lives. Learning these habits as a kid makes it easier to maintain as we get older.
- Sport increases self-esteem and confidence.
- Playing sport helps to establish a healthy self-esteem and can boost confidence. Seeing the results of practice pay off on match days, and the positive reinforcement and encouragement from parents, coaches and teammates, will improve a child’s self-esteem and confidence in their abilities.
- Sport encourages teamwork, communication and leadership skills.
- Team sports require teamwork, communication and leadership: three important criteria that an adult is required to be able to demonstrate when going for any job. Learning these skills as a child provides a great base for future success.
- Sport is a good way to relieve stress.
- Physical activity produces endorphins, which make you happy. Sport is a great outlet for stress relief, and to reduce the effects of negative emotions.
- Sport is fun!
- The biggest reason for kids to engage in sport is simply because it is FUN! So get out there and get your children involved in sport!
HEAD YOUTEK IG RADICAL MP
**Exclusive to Sportsmart stores**
The Innegra hybrid-composite structure of the Head Youtek IG Radical MP racquet is extremely tough while remaining light weight. Vibration from ball impact is reduced by up to 17%, which leads to unique control and precision.
This Head tennis racquet also features D30 impact protection; this material allows the racquet to adopt to any flex required for every shot you take.
The Head Youtek IG Radical MP is used by professional tennis players including Andre Agassi and Andy Murray.
Ideal for the competitive player.
Weight – 295g
Head size – 98 sq. ins
Balance – 3” HL
Beam – 21.5mm
Length – 27ins
String pattern – 18/20
Normal price: $329 / Smart Card price: $179. Members save $150
HEAD GRAPHENE XT SPEED MP
Once you have played with Head’s Graphene tennis racquets you will never want to be without its incredible power. Now, this racquet features the next stage of this revolutionary technology: Graphene XT.
With this racquet, Head has made the world’s strongest and lightest material even stronger. This results in optimal weight distribution for a faster swing and more power, for an on-court performance to rival any opponent.
This is the original tennis racquet of the great Novak Djokovic.
Ideal for competitive players.
Weight – 300g
Head size – 100 sq. ins
Balance – 1” HL
Beam – 22mm
Length – 27ins
String pattern – 16/19
Normal price: $349 / Smart Card price: $199. Members save $150
Shop our full Tennis range in-store and online NOW
Ellipticals are becoming increasingly popular as the gym equipment of choice for many. When it comes to your workout, how do ellipticals differ from treadmills?
- Less impact on the joints
In comparison to running (high-impact), an elliptical is a lot softer on your joints (impact free), making it the perfect exercise machine if you have joint problems. The low impact exercise also helps with recovery times.
- Works the whole body
The arm motion on an elliptical machine gives a quality upper body workout while simultaneously providing a lower body workout and an overall cardiovascular workout. The elliptical saves you time by working all these muscle groups at once.
- Increase your cardio fitness
The elliptical machine is believed to be one of the most effective machines for increasing cardiovascular fitness. Improved cardiovascular health leads to other benefits such as better quality sleep, increased alertness, and faster metabolism.
Our January Sale is helping you get your kids ready for “Back To School”, so we’ve put together a quick guide on how to make sure you get the best shoe for your child.
- Measure both feet and always fit shoes to the larger foot. When in a store, get the shoes professionally fitted. If you already know your child’s size, purchasing online should be a breeze.
- When the shoes are on your child’s feet, stand your child up, and check to ensure there is about half an inch (or a thumb width) of room between the end of the shoe and your child’s biggest toe. This is especially important in running shoes, as the foot expands when warm.
- Next, while your child has the shoe on and is sitting down, test the ankle fit by gently tugging at the back of the shoe. The shoe should not pop off.
- Make sure you feel all around the shoe to ensure there is no bulging or tightness. Snug is okay.
- Lastly, make your child walk around the store in the shoe and watch to make sure they are walking normally and there is no slipping or gaping.
Most importantly, a correctly fitted shoe should feel comfortable.
Remember, we offer free shipping on footwear orders over $50, and if you purchase the wrong size, Sportsmart will be happy to offer you an exchange or refund within 14 days.
Visit us in store to have one of our professional footwear staff fit your child’s shoes, or shop our range of kids shoes online NOW.
After a long day at work we all suffer that internal debate… ‘should I go to the gym or just stay warm and curl up and watch Netflix?’
Bustamove’s Personal Trainer, Michael, has put together a 20 minute home workout. So, stay warm, watch Netflix and workout, all at once, within the comfort of your home!
20 Minute Kettlebell Workout
Perform both exercises in Circuit A for 45 seconds with a 15 second rest in between each exercise. Do 3 sets. Repeat for Circuit B and C.
Circuit A: (1) Kettlebell Squat and Press, (2) Plank
Circuit B: (1) Kettlebell Split Squat (lunge), (2) Crunches
Circuit C: (1) Kettlebell Sumo Squat + high pull, (2) Push ups
- Count how many repetitions of the first set you do in each circuit and try beat that for the second and third set!
- Increase kettlebell weight every time you do the workout!
Bustamove Personal Trainer