A jump shot is best used when you are charging down the court and cannot dribble past your opponent. Make a sudden stop with both feet landing at the same time. Transfer your forward movement into a vertical leap. Focus on the rim and shoot. Use our step by step guide to master your jump shot:
- Place your feet shoulder width apart.
- Put your shooting arm up and bend your wrist at a 90 degree angle
- Place your other hand on the side to help stabilise the ball.
- Hold the ball above your head at your desired height.
- Elevate straight up while holding the ball tightly
- Square up with the hoop when you have reached the highest point.
- Extend your shooting arm up and snap your wrist to propel the ball towards the rim
- The ball should leave the fingertips and point towards the ground afterwards
- Keep your eyes focused on a spot on the back of the rim
- Maintain a good follow through with the wrist
Perfecting the jump shot allows an average player to become a scoring machine. However in the face of tougher, taller and smarter defenders you may need to consider another type of shot such as the fade-away and the leaner.